Sunday, January 22, 2012

Freezer Cooking - Why and How I do it...

With my two year old deciding he didn't need to nap anymore and a highly active 1 year old, I needed to find ways to create short cuts in cooking and yet not just put pre-packaged and highly preserved meals on the table.  I just don't like eating food like that...  So, I did a little research and stumbled upon the http://www.onceamonthmom.com/ website, dedicated to once a month cooking.  And, my new lifestyle began!

The concept behind once a month cooking is to plan your menu and do all of your meal prep work on one day and then keep it all in the freezer until you use it later in the month.  It has changed the way I cook and the way my family eats!  We are eating a better variety of meals, ones that are healthy with organic and whole food ingredients, and I am spending a TON less time in the kitchen each day getting our meals ready. 

How does it work, you say? Here is how it looks for me...

Each month, I typically set aside 2 hours for menu planning - looking up new recipes I want to try, locating my recipes that are tried and true, planning the order of meals so we don't, for example, have all soups one week and all Asian food the next, and then writing out an extensive grocery list.  I then do a big shopping day at Sam's Club, Costco, Super Target, and Cub.  Sometimes that comes in the evenings after the kids have gone to bed or sometimes it is on a day I know my in-laws will babysit.

With all the ingredients on hand, I tackle the cooking.  The first time I did it with the kids safely tucked away at my in-laws' house, I cooked for about 6 hours, and got 15 meals completely prepared and in the freezer.  The second month, I cooked for about 8 hours and got 24 meals in the freezer.  The next two times I did this, I didn't have the luxury of a solid day of cooking without the kids at home so did 3-5 meals a day during nap time for a week and then had everything in the freezer for the rest of the month. 

Some of the meals are prep only on cooking day, meaning I toss all the raw ingredients into ziploc baggies and label them with cooking instructions and throw them in the freezer.  Some are minimal prep - meaning I have to brown meat or cook noodles and assemble.  Thirdly, (and I usually try to limit the number of these kinds of recipes) are the meals that involve cooking thoroughly and then freezing in their cooked state to reheat on eating day.  For those, I like to try to double the recipes since I am going to go through all the work of cooking it. 

Many of the meals make enough food for a family of six.  We are currently feeding about 3 1/2 people so for us many recipes can be split.  By doing this, I feel like we waste a lot less food not throwing out uneaten leftovers later in the week. 

Because I am doing the grocery shopping in bulk, I have been able to maintain a budget of about $10 per meal.  It saves us money, time, and stress every day!  And, I love it! I have done four months of this now and couldn't imagine going back!

I am currently working on the menu for February.  Our menu hangs right on the fridge and I mark on the menu where fresh ingredients need to be bought that week (i.e. lettuce, tomato, and avocado for tacos, fresh bread for french dip sandwiches, etc.).  I try to plan 4-5 meals per week knowing that weekends are always different as far as meals go and we need to have at least one night of leftovers so as to not waste food.  I'm definitely not rigid in my meal plan and do rearrange as my mood hits but generally stick to what I have planned for each night.  Here is what I think February's menu will look like:


February Menu
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
Orange Apricot Pork Chops*Chicken Tortilla Soup**Hearty Beef Stew
Kung Pao ChickenRotel Tacos**Italian Meatballs and SpaghettiChicken Noodle Soup*Chicken Pot Pie
Basil Chicken and Spinach RavioliTaco Soup**Shepherd's PieSloppy Joe's**Stuffed Shells
Chicken  Caccatori*Jack Hilger Stew*Black Bean Corn QuesadillasAsian Pork Tenderloin and Asian Carrots**BBQ Chicken Pizza
Asian Peanut Chicken Stirfry*Black Bean Burritos*Chicken Pot Pie


* food swap group meal
**needs additional fresh ingredients:
      Tortilla Soup - sour cream
      Rotel Tacos - lettuce, tomatoes, avocado
      Taco Soup - sour cream
      Sloppy Joes - buns
      Asain Pork Tenderloin - green onions

Hope this is helpful for all you aspiring freezer cookers out there!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment