Friday, November 16, 2012

Chicken, Tomato, Zucchini, and Orzo Stew

So, after roasting that huge chicken, we had about half of it left over.  I needed something to use up the meat and wanted something different.  I also had a box of orzo in the pantry that I had been wanting to find a use for.  I threw together a few different things and this is what I came up with.  It is definitely not my husband's style of meal - he really didn't like it but I enjoyed it and it was a nice way to use up some of the food we already had around the house! 



Chicken, Tomato, Zucchini, and Orzo Stew

2 cans diced tomatoes
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
4 cloves garlic minced
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried basil
2 zucchini, halved and sliced
1 1/2 c. orzo
4 c. cooked chicken, cut into bit sized pieces
salt/pepper to taste
optional: sliced kalamata olives (for topping - though I LOVE kalamata olives and would say they really make the dish!)

Instructions:

In a large sauce pan, combine tomatoes, broth, garlic, carrots marjoram, thyme, and basil.  Bring to a boil.

Add orzo and zucchini.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Return to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes or until orzo is tender.  Add cooked chicken and heat until chicken is hot.  Dish up and top with olives.

Husband rating: 1 out of 10 (but like I said, this isn't his type of meal)

Food for thought: I also thought of making it a bit more soup-like.  To do that, I would double the amount of broth in it.  I might experiment with making it more of a soup than a stew next time and see what I can come up with.  I will keep you posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment