Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Homemade Granola using Agave Nectar

I keep trying different recipes of homemade granola.  My husband really likes when the boys and I make it but prefers a bit of variety rather than making the same one time and time again.  I saw a recipe that looked interesting and did my own adaptations to it.  I think it turned out tty good, though the other recipe using maple syrup was better.  The egg white in the recipe was unique from others I had seen.  It supposedly makes the granola crunchier, though I think that it was probably equally as crunchy as any other batch we have made.  I also used a different mix of dried fruit for this one - apples, plums, apricots, and mango.  I think next time I plan to use a different mixture of dried fruit and perhaps eliminate the ginger to see how that changes the flavor.


Homemade Granola using Agave Nectar

Recipe adapted from writes4food.com

2 c. multigrain cereal (see note below)
2 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
1 c. raw sunflower seeds
1 c. almond slices
1/2 c. unsweetened finely shredded coconut
1/2 c. sesame seeds
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 egg whites +2 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/2 c. agave nectar (see note below)
2 c. dried fruit of your choice

Instructions:

Combine first 9 ingredients (cereal through ginger) in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine egg whites and water and mix.  Add in the vanilla and agave nectar and whisk briskly until well combined and slightly frothy. 
Pour egg mixture over dry ingredients and stir well.
Spread ingredients out on a baking sheet or jelly roll pan covered with parchment paper (for easier clean up).  I actually use my pizza pans because they are a good size and have slightly raised edges.

Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes, stir and bake additional 15 minutes.

Reduce heat to 200 degrees, stir and bake for an additional 15-25 minutes, stirring once, until mixture is evenly golden brown and crunchy.
Let cool and then gently stir in the dried fruit.  Store in an air tight contain or Ziploc baggie.


Food for Thought: For the multi-grain cereal, I use one that I can get at Trader Joe's.  I like the variety it adds.  However, if you are unable to find one, simply substitute rolled oats.  For the agave nectar, it usually is found at the grocery store next to the honey.  If you don't have it or can't find it, honey would be a sensible substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment